Saturday, January 16, 2010

I RUN...

When I was 38 1/2 or so I set this CRAZY goal of wearing a bikini again the summer I turned 40. I made several attempts... we bought a bowflex(which is now covered in dust in our office), I walked with Jenny (a big 4 year old) in a jog stroller, and then I tried the video thing. I quit them all. And 40 came and went and , You guessed it, NO BIKINI for me! But this last fall, I finally had time! Time I had not had in almost 9 years. Time for me... no chance of interruption, no chance of someone joining me and a chance for me to do something just for me.

I started out just walking immediately after I put the kids on the bus, 7:40 in the morning. I started walking, just walking... And then my much younger and more fit, friend , Heather said "Wanna run the Christmas 5k?". I am sure the look on my face gave her my answer, but out of nowhere my mouth said "Yeah". WHAT? Did I just say I would run a 5k. I am a 40 year old mother of 3 who hasn't done much but chase kids for the past 9 years. So the training began. I followed a training plan aptly called "From couch, to 5k". And yep, I made it. I ran my first 5k, November 20, 2009. First on in my life and at the ripe old age of 40. Time: 34:30. Averaging an 11 minute mile. Yep, I'll take it!

But I Run for a lot of reasons:
I run for me, and only me.
I run to clear my head.
I run to be alone.
I run and enjoy the music I want to listen to.
I run because I love it!
I run for my family... to be a good example and to make sure I am here for a long time to come.

Mostly, I RUN JUST TO RUN. Maybe from things, maybe toward new things.

It is a gift I give myself almost daily now... a gift no one can take from me. A gift that will give to me and my family for years to come.

I RUN.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! You're getting the itch now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bev... Tons of ideas now. Gonna pace myself.

    ReplyDelete